De-carcerate PA announces March from Philly to Harrisburg
MARCH FOR A PEOPLE’S BUDGET - STOP PRISON EXPANSION NOW!
MAY 25 – JUNE 3
Visit DecarceratePA.info to register
Year after year, Governor Corbett cuts funds from education, healthcare, environmental protection, and social services. Yet he continues to spend millions on locking people up. Right now, the Corbett administration is spending over $400 million to build two new prisons in Montgomery County, while 23 schools in Philadelphia will be closing next year due to funding shortages.His proposed budget for 2013 includes a $68 million increase for the Department of Corrections, even as his administration claims the prison population is going down.
Many of our lawmakers talk the talk about the need for prison reform and increased education funding, but they refuse to walk the walk. So Decarcerate PA and our allies are going to walk all the way from Philly to Harrisburg to tell them the time for change is NOW.
On May 25th to June 3rd, we are marching from Philadelphia to Harrisburg to demand that 2013 be the year of a People’s Budget, Not a Prison Budget. The march will start with a huge rally in Love Park at 12:00 on Saturday, May 25th and stop in towns and cities across the state, landing in Harrisburg on the same day the General Assembly will be reconvening to discuss the budget. Join us to demand legislators reject Governor Corbett’s prison budget and invest in communities, not prisons.
Join us to demand:
- Legislators vote NO on an increased prison budget
- The immediate cancelation of new prison construction in Montgomery County
- Full funding for education, healthcare, and social services
How to join the movement:
- March with us! Register for the march by CLICKING HERE
- Mobilize members of your community to come out for the May 25th rally in Philadelphia, participate in segments of the march to Harrisburg, or join us at the Capitol on June 3rd to bring our message directly to the lawmakers.
- Help us find folks who can shelter and/or feed marchers, or host awareness events across the state. If you can help house or feed marchers, email us email@example.com
- Call and/or write your legislators and ask them to refuse to pass any budget with increased DOC funding as long as the Department continues to waste taxpayer money on unnecessary new prisons. For more info and sample letters, check outhttp://www.decarceratepa.info/legislators
- DONATE! Help us fund this effort my making a donation athttp://decarceratePA.info/donate
Schedule of Events:
- Saturday May 25th Kick off rally and march at 12:00 pm in Love Park in Philadelphia. March will end with a rally at the Art Museum and those marching to Harrisburg will continue on to Haverford.
- Sunday May 26th March from Haverford to Collegeville
- Monday, May 27th March from Collegeville to Pottstown
- Tuesday, May 28th March from Pottstown to Reading
- Wednesday, May 29th Stay in Reading
- Thursday, May 30th March from Reading to Womelsdorf
- Friday, May 31st March from Womelsdorf to Lebanon
- Saturday, June 1st March from Lebanon to Hershey
- Sunday, June 2nd March from Hershey to Greater Harrisburg
- Monday, June 3rd March into Harrisburg and rally at 12:00 pm at the Capitol!
Fair Use Notice
This website re-published copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this message for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.