Action Alert: Stand Against Seattle Eviction This Week
ACTION ALERT: SAFE, Standing Against Foreclosures & Evictions
A Message from the Backbone Campaign to Seattle Activists
Eviction protection is a critical front in our universal human rights movement. Our allies at SAFEinSeattle.org (Standing Against Foreclosures & Evictions) are organizing their first Eviction Blockade and they need our support. We have had SAFE's back since they began last year because they are doing such important work. We want to be there to support them at this critical moment as well.
See the call for support below, and PLEASE show up if you can.
Preparation to Stop Impending Eviction:
Where: 725 So. Henderson St., Seattle. Directions from Westlake Plaza (17 min. by car):
2. Turn left (south) onto 2nd Ave.|
3. Turn right (west) onto Columbia St.
4. Slight left to merge onto WA-99 S
5. Slight right toward WA-99 S (signs for WA-99 S/W Marginal Way/South Park/WA-509/Burien)
6. Continue straight onto WA-99 S
7. Take the WA 99 S exit toward West Marginal Way/South Park
8. Keep left at the fork, follow signs for South Park/Cloverdale St.
9. Turn left onto 1st Avenue South
10. Take 2nd left onto S Cloverdale St.
11. Turn right onto 7th Ave. S
12. Turn left onto S Henderson St.
13. 725 S Henderson St. is on your right
This Past Week:
· Wednesday, May 1: Supported by a contingent of SAFE members, Jeremy argued eloquently in front of a King County Commissioner for his moral and human right to stay in his home. On those grounds the Commissioner agreed, but because the law is based not on morality or human right, the Commissioner found in favor of the banks (Wells Fargo, Deutsche Bank, and Morgan Stanley).
· Wednesday, May 1: SAFE held a Solidarity Block Party and One-year Anniversary Party at Jeremy's house in South Park. Great fun.
· Thursday, May 2: After putting up posters throughout the community, we held our second SAFE Neighborhood Meeting in South Park.
Other Upcoming & Ongoing Events:
· Tuesdays, 7:00 - 8:30 PM: Weekly SAFE Meeting: Bethany UCC, 6230 Beacon Ave S (NE corner of Graham St). All are welcome!
Thoughts & Opinions (SAFE welcomes written opinions from all of its supporters. If you have a letter or comment you'd like to include in the Thoughts & Opinions section of this Newsletter, please e-mail info@SAFEinSeattle.org. Opinions must be informative, relevant to the foreclosure/eviction crisis, and consistent with SAFE's mission and principles. The opinions below do not necessarily represent those of SAFE.):
· No offering this week as we are all busy preparing for the banks' impending attempt to evict Jeremy.
Housing is a Human Right!
Fair Use Notice
This website re-published copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this message for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.